The deadline to give employees their T4 slips is Thursday, February 28, 2019! The failure to distribute T4 slips on time is $25 per day for each failure with a minimum penalty of $100 and a maximum of $2500.
How to distribute T4 slips:
- Secured Portal: You may distribute T4s electronically by making them accessible on a secured portal and with a secured printer.
- Email: You can only distribute T4s through email if you receive written consent from the employee.
- In Person or by Mail: You can distribute T4s to your employee either through mail or in person if you provide two copies of the T4 slip, in paper format.
- If the T4 slip is returned as not deliverable, keep a copy with the employee’s file.
- Employee’s address not up to date? If you are aware you have the incorrect address, do not send the employee’s T4 slip to that address. Document why the copies were not sent and all the efforts you took in order to retrieve the correct address.
- Print the two T4 slips that you must give each employee on one sheet.
Struggling? Feeling overwhelmed? Our bookkeeping team is always here to help and happily serve our clients! Please contact one of our many bookkeepers for help at 1-866-822-9992.
Reference: How to distribute your T4 Slips
Latest posts by Heather Burke (see all)
- Have you distributed T4 slips to your employees yet? - February 11, 2019
- Update: An Important Change to Form RC59 - May 9, 2017