Ontario COVID-19 Worker Income Protection Benefit
Employers may now submit claims online for the Workplace Safety and Insurance Board (WSIB) reimbursement for paying their employees under the Ontario COVID-19 Worker Income Protection Benefit.
An employee may take time off and be paid under the ESA’s paid infectious disease emergency leave. This could include when an employee is:
- Going for a COVID-19 test
- Staying home awaiting the results of a COVID-19 test
- Being sick with COVID-19
- Getting individual medical treatment related to COVID-19
- Going to get vaccinated
- Experiencing a side effect from a COVID-19 vaccination
- Having been advised to self-isolate due to COVID-19 by an employer, medical practitioner or other specified authority
- Providing care or support to certain relatives for COVID-19 related reasons, such as when they are sick with COVID-19 or have symptoms of COVID-19 on the advice of a medical practitioner or other specified authority
COVID-19 is the only recognized infectious disease at this time.
The maximum amount per employee is $200 per day for up to three days. Employees are entitled to vacation pay on their earnings for these days; however, the vacation pay is not eligible for WSIB reimbursement.