With 2018 here, many people may have made it their new year’s resolution to donate to charities and not-for-profit organizations (NPO) for the very first time. How exciting – people want to choose your cause to donate towards! This means the donor recognizes your organization to be effective in trying to achieve its mission, and has been given the feeling that he/she is part of an important cause. Although this is all very exciting, it is important to make lasting impressions with first-time donors so that they will want to give back again.
How and when should I engage with first-time donors?
Donor retention is one of the biggest problems for charities as most donors leave after their first give. Although donors and customers of a business aren’t necessarily the same audience, their consumer behaviour is still very similar to one another. According to Joanne Fritz, author of the article “How to Get First Time Donors to Give Again”, 68% of customers in the business sector leave because of a lack of follow-up by the organization. This statistic also applies to donors. Therefore, engagement with first-time donors is crucial to keep them coming back! Here are some quick tips to engage with first-time donors:
- Show your GRATITUDE
- Send a thank-you email or pick up the phone and call
- Reinforce the impact THEY made
- Show your donors the ability they have to make a difference. How does their dollar impact your organization?
- Strengthen the RELATIONSHIP you have with them
- Send a follow-up email; this shows you haven’t forgotten about them and that you appreciate their contributions!
While other factors are very important, good customer service is what will truly make your first-time donors come back and contribute more. Just as you are going out to try a new restaurant, you want to have a great experience to make you go back again!
If you need guidance on how to retain your first-time donors, feel free to contact our specialized Not-for-Profit Team at 1-866-822-9992.
Latest posts by Michelle Adams (see all)
- CRA is no longer providing T3010 charity return barcode labels - February 11, 2019
- Beware of Legal Issues Around Social Media for your Organization - July 11, 2018
- 10 Tips for Effective Legal Risk Management for NPOs - June 19, 2018